The RNLI Grace Darling Museum was established by the RNLI in September 1938. It commemorates the life and times of Victorian heroine Grace Darling who, with her father, rescued 9 survivors from the shipwrecked SS Forfarshire in 1838. Grace's qualities of courage, selflessness and determination are reflected in the lifeboat crews of today; all ordinary people doing an extraordinary job. Amongst the collection is the original coble used in the rescue along with William Darling's manuscript report and log book recording the rescue. Other personal relics include Grace Darling's shawls, books, letters, and awards. There are original oils and water colours of the wreck and rescue by distinguished artsists.
11 October - Easter Sunday, Tuesday–Sunday and Bank Holidays, 10am–4pm (last admission 3.30pm). Easter Monday - 30 September, Monday–Sunday, 10am–5pm (last admission 4.15pm).
Nearest rail station: Berwick–upon Tweed Buses connect to Berwick and Alnwick. The bus stop in Bamburgh is a couple of minutes walk from the museum. The museum is situated in Bamburgh village, opposite St Aidan’s church and a short walk from the castle. Parking is at the opposite end of the village and public toilets are very near the museum.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Meeting room available
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Facilities for private functions and events
Bookings for schools or groups is necessary as the museum is a small space. Talks and activities can be arranged for parties but must be booked in advance. There is a large municipal car park 1/4 mile from the museum, opposite the castle, which also takes coaches. Public toilets are accross the road, a short distance from the Museum.
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- General guide to collections available
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Volunteering scheme offered
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Community outreach programme/service
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.