At last, after years of planning, fund-raising and hard work, the South Downs Planetarium is a reality. It will be one of the largest planetaria in the British Isles, and it will be a properly scientific planetarium, not a peep-show. All the same, I have come across one or two people who say "Why create an artificial sky when the real one is there for our inspection?" There are quite a number of reasons - and one stands out at once. The real sky is not always available for inspection. We have better weather here than anywhere else in Britain (which, remember, is why King George V went to Bognor when he was recuperating, even if he did make that unfortunate remark about it!). But the skies are very often cloudy, even here, and usually clouds roll up at the wrong moment, making observers miss some unusual and important celestial event. In the planetarium, we can have clouds or not, as we wish!
The Planetarium is an educational charity managed and staffed by volunteers and enthusiasts. It operates throughout the year, but is not open every day. Members of the public are welcome to visit the Planetarium at the public show times listed on the website. Visits by schools, youth groups, clubs and societies may be scheduled for any time. Pre-booking essential.
Adults: £6.00 Under 16s: £4 Discounts available for schools and youth groups, depending on group size.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Parking for coaches
- Parking for disabled available
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
Our library is open to the public by appointment only. Call for further information.
- Academic publications and resources available
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Guided tours
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.