During 1942, around 600 acres of farmland and woods were cleared to create a new airfield for 5 Group, Bomber Command. Situated between the villages of Metheringham and Martin, the airfield opened in October 1943. Although far from complete, it was soon home to 106 Squadron. Despite having only a week to settle in, the Squadron was operational in time for the opening of the Battle of Berlin, and RAF Metheringham went to war on 18th November 1943. The war in Europe was over 22 months later, and having flown over 200 operations and suffering losses of 59 Lancasters which failed to return from operations, the Squadron then prepared to depart for the war in the Far East as part of 'Tiger Force'. With the end of the war in the Far East in September 1945, the Squadron disbanded some 6 months later. Of no further use to the RAF, the airfield was closed in the spring of 1946 and once again returned to agriculture.
Last weekend in March or Easter (whichever is sooner) to end October: Wednesdays, 1100-1600, Saturdays, Sundays & Bank Holidays, 1100-1700.
Admission to the visitor centre is free.
The Visitor Centre is situated at Westmoor Farm, two and a half miles from the village of Metheringham on the B1189, directly opposite the B1191 turning to Martin and Woodhall Spa.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Gardens open to public
- Mail order service available
- Meeting room available
- Parking for coaches
- Parking for disabled available
- Picnic area
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.