Caer Drewyn was built around 2.500 years ago. Unlike other hillforts in the area Caer Drewyn doesn't have earthen banks or ditches (ramparts), but a large dry stone wall, the remains of which can still be seen today. The hillfort interior would probably have contained roundhouses constructed of stone and wood, providing shelter and safety for the occupants. Caer Drewyn continued to be used long after the Iron Age had ended. Legend has it that it was used by Owain Gwynedd, a self-proclaimed King of Wales, as a camp whilst Henry II was encamped on the Berwyns. It is also believed to be the site where Owain Glyndwr gathered his troops after he proclaimed himself King of Wales in 1400.
All day, every day
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.