The present house was remodelled in 1906 by Sir Robert Lorimer for Mr F B Sharp to form a suitable setting for his notable collection which includes French, Chippendale-style and vernacular furniture, Dutch paintings and pictures by Raeburn and Ramsay, Flemish tapestries and Chinese porcelain and bronzes. The interior is very much in the Edwardian fashion. The formal gardens to the south were also designed by Lorimer. Restored Edwardian laundry. Path to hilltop panoramic indicator. Bequeathed in 1949 by Miss E C Sharp with 503 ha (1,243 a) of gardens, forest and farmland as endowment. The present holding is 198 ha (489 a). Until 1977 the upper floor was used as a convalescent home by the Marie Curie Foundation.
1 Apr to 30 Sep, daily 1-5; 1 to 31 Oct, Sat/Sun 1-5. Tearoom, same dates, but opens at 12. Garden and grounds, all year, daily 9.30-sunset.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Picnic area
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.