Chequer Mead was opened to the public in 1996. The site was originally a Victorian primary school that opened in 1865. The site comprises the original school as meeting rooms, a studio and gallery - a 320 seat purpose built theatre was added to to site during redevelopment. The theatre is a very popular space with both professionals and semi-pros and the theatre currently hosts 200 shows a year. Another popular facility is the Greenstede Gallery which welcomes a wide range of artists, showcasing work in a wide range of mediums.
Mon - Sat, 9.00 - 18.00. Open later on show nights - check with Box office for times Closed: Sundays
Greenstede Gallery - free
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Gardens open to public
- Meeting room available
- Parking for disabled available
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Pre-booking service for groups
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.