City of London
- Phone: 020 7626 1274
- Web Site: http://www.sandp.org/opening.htm
Situated in a secluded courtyard, Britain's oldest synagogue was opened in 1701 to serve the Spanish & Portuguese Jews’ Congregation. Today it is one of the best-preserved houses of worship of its period still in regular use. Jews were permitted to return to Britain in 1657 under Oliver Cromwell. Some of the most eminent figures of Anglo-Jewry sat at prayer in the Synagogue, such as Sir Moses Montefiore. Disraeli was born into the Congregation and there are links to the Rothschilds. Today it is regarded as the most distinguished British Synagogue. Even though recently restored, the interior has barely changed since it was built. It is in the style of many Nonconformist chapels of the period. The influence of Sir Christopher Wren is also evident. The Synagogue has one of the finest collections of Cromwellian and Queen Anne furniture in the country, including the magnificent brass candelabra with glowing candlelight.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.