On the historic New Walk, Leicester's original museum has collections spanning the natural and cultural world. A family friendly day-out, displays include Dinosaurs, Egyptians, Geology, The Den, Wild Space and World Arts. The art galleries showcase Modern and Old Masters, contemporary art and craft exhibitions and permanent galleries of Arts & Crafts and Picasso Ceramics: The Attenborough Collection and Leicester's internationally renowned German Expressionism collection. The museum offers a varied events programme, Costa coffee shop with free Wi-Fi access and gift shop including a range of exhibition merchandise and contemporary craft and design. The venue is also available for private hire and licensed for civil marriage and naming ceremonies.
Monday - Friday: 11am - 4.30pm Saturday & Sunday: 11am - 5pm
Admission to the museum is free. Certain events and exhibitions may have a charge.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Children's play area
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Parking for disabled available
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Research facilities for academics
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Licensed for weddings
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.