First Floor, Commercial Union House
39 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
For his fourth solo exhibition at Vane Simon Le Ruez presents a body of work which continues to explore his interests in territory, transparency, fragility and transition, and which takes his fascination with making, colour and material combination to new and unexpected levels. The title of the exhibition is taken from a line in Leo Carax’s 1991 film, Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (The Lovers on the Bridge). With grim radiance, the film charts the story of two fractured individuals discovering each other on Paris’ oldest bridge, upon which themes of abandonment, freedom, desire and redemption are played out with the city as a backdrop. Le Ruez’s new work aligns itself with these multifaceted and fragmented themes. Hand blown glass forms permeate the artist’s new work injecting refinement; exquisite digressions and qualities of tension. Like a precarious, revealed interior of communal space within an apartment building, the work Between Brooklyn and the Bronx (2019), hosts a fevered collection of objects and arrangements, which might allude to misfit characters or inhabitants. With this exhibition Le Ruez takes the viewer on a celebratory journey full of twists and tangents, crossings and meeting points, conjuring both the immediacy of the here and now and the sense that elsewhere is never far away.
For more information on this event: http://vane.org.uk/exhibitions/paris-can-stay-in-bed
Upcoming event dates:
- Wednesday 16th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 17th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 18th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 19th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Wednesday 23rd October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 24th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 25th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 26th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Wednesday 30th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 31st October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 1st November 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 2nd November 2019 12:00 - 17:00
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Is this your Exhibition? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.