First Floor, Commercial Union House
39 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
For his third solo exhibition at Vane Matthew Smith has made a series of rock-like fibreglass sculptures in varying monochrome shades. The sculptures are made from non-recyclable plastic taken from the artist’s household waste. This was collected over one calendar year and divided up to make ten sculptures each titled with the dates between which the entombed material was amassed. The plastic detritus was arranged and formed, then coated in resin and glass fibre. They have a smooth semi-reflective surface through which recognisable everyday forms of plastic packaging appear to protrude. Usually destined for landfill, Smith transforms this discarded material into a series of sculptures, presenting us with a landscape of rogue geological objects from the Anthropocene epoch.
For more information on this event: http://vane.org.uk/exhibitions/yesterday/today/tomorrow
Upcoming event dates:
- Wednesday 16th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 17th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 18th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 19th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Wednesday 23rd October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 24th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 25th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 26th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Wednesday 30th October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 31st October 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Friday 1st November 2019 12:00 - 17:00
- Saturday 2nd November 2019 12:00 - 17:00
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Is this your Exhibition? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.