Aspex has a 35-year track record of supporting emerging artists and engaging audiences, through the delivery of a programme of exhibitions, off-site projects and participatory opportunities. Artists such as Mona Hatoum, Richard Wilson and Susan Collis, all internationally acclaimed, received support from Aspex at an early point in their careers. This work has continued with projects including Emergency, an open submission biennial exhibition, offering key opportunities for artist exposure and professional development. Since its relocation to the waterfront at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth in 2006, the gallery has focused on finding ways to meaningfully engage its visitors by facilitating connections with artists and revealing the creative process. Alongside the exhibition programme, Aspex offers a relaxing Cafe Bar & shop selling unique crafts, cards and gifts. A charity and company limited by guarantee, Aspex is a National Portfolio Organisation of Arts Council England and is supported by Portsmouth City Council.
Wednesday - Sunday, 11am - 4pm and Bank Holidays
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Library with public access
- Meeting room available
- Parking for disabled available
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Research facilities for academics
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
Aspex offers a programme of weekly and holiday workshops for toddlers to teenagers. Please see our website for more details.
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- General guide to collections available
- Guided tours
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Information point provided
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.