The National Monuments Record, the public archive of English Heritage, holds over 12 million photographs, plans, drawings, reports, records and documents linked to England's archaeology, architecture, social and local history. Over 2 million photographs and records are now available online for free. If you can't find what you're looking for online you can write, phone or email your enquiry or you can visit the public search rooms and library based in Swindon.
The Public Search Room and Library is open Tuesday to Friday 09.30-17.00. We are closed on Mondays, Bank Holidays and over the Christmas/New Year period.
By train: the nearest station is Swindon. We're 10 minutes walk from the station. By road: follow the brown attractions signs to the NMRC.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Library with public access
- Parking for disabled available
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Academic publications and resources available
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Primary school education service available
- Public access available to collections information
- Secondary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.