The fascinating history of one of Cheshire's most attractive and historic towns is brought to life by Nantwich Museum. Located in Pillory Street, at the heart of the town, the museum has main galleries telling the story of Nantwich through the ages - Roman salt making, Tudor Nantwich's Great Fire, the Civil War Battle of Nantwich (1644) and the more recent shoe and clothing industries. Beyond the galleries lie two extensions. The first with its cheese-making exhibition and useful Joseph Heler meeting room, is dedicated to demonstrating how the county's famous cheese has traditionally been made and sold around the floral market town of Nantwich. A small Community Gallery for individual art, etc, exhibitions leads to the magnificent, prize-winning Millennium Gallery. This provides the perfect home for a diverse programme of temporary exhibitions. With facilities available to local community groups, Nantwich Museum is a vibrant hub of local interest. Enter through the door of Nantwich's former Victorian Jubilee library and discover our exciting museum for yourself.
Tue-Sat, 10.30-16.30, all year Closed: Sun, Mon, public holidays
Free admission - but donations are always acceptable
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
Public car park opposite museum (Pay and Display)
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Information point provided
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.