The Museum of Lancashire contains the museums of two historic regiments. The gallery of the 14th/20th King's Hussars traces the history of the Regiment from 1715 and includes two Victoria crosses as well as artefacts from the Napoleonic era and India. The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry collection marks its association with the county with exhibits that include items from World War I in the Middle East, Peterloo, and South Africa. Mounted in co- operation with the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, Lancashire Fusiliers and Manchesters a new display follows Lancastrians in World War I on the Western Front, and includes a trench scene with many of the devices of trench warfare as well as Imperial War Museum film footage. There is also a display on the Home Front in Lancashire during the Second World War.
Open every day except Monday 10.30 am to 5pm (Sundays 12 to 5)
Within 500 yards of Preston bus station, close to the junction of Stanley St and Ringway. (M6 exits for Preston town centre, or rail main line station one mile)
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Education facilities available
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Secondary school education service available
- Primary school education service available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.