The Grosvenor Museum was founded in 1885 and its origins are linked to the Chester Society of Natural Science Literature & Art founded by Charles Kingsley in 1871, and to Chester Archaeological Society. The Museum holds an internationally important collection of Roman Stones, found in the City walls in the 19th century. There is also a fine collection of Chester silver, the Art Collection includes modern works. We also have a good natural history collection, including many examples of Victorian taxidermy, geological specimens plus butterflies, insects and birds. There is an interesting 17th century period house attached to the museum with many period roomsets starting in the 17th century.
Mon-Sat 1030-1700 Sun 1300-1600 Closed 24, 25 & 26 December, 1 January & Good Friday
Free. Suggested donation £3 per person.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Parking for disabled available
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
We run a wide range of activities for children particularly in school holidays. Please note for events involving children - Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times - and in general children should always be accompanied.
- Academic publications and resources available
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Information point provided
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Public access available to collections information
- Secondary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.