- Phone: 01776 705544
The Castle of St John is a medieval tower house in the centre of Stranraer. It was built around 1500 by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in Wigtownshire. Over the centuries the Castle has been used as a home, a local court, a military garrison and a prison. Videos and reconstructions are used to tell the story of the medieval landowners who built and lived in the Castle; the Government troops who used the Castle as their headquarters during the "Killing Times" in the 1680’s; and the criminals and debtors imprisoned in the Castle during the 19th century. There is an activity room for families and children. The Castle is in the centre of Stranraer and within walking distance of the ferry terminal.
Easter-September Mon-Sat 1000-1300 1400-1700
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.