Kilmartin Glen, in the heart of Mid Argyll, is one of Scotland's richest prehistoric landscapes. Over 800 historic monuments, cairns, standing stones, stone circles and rock art dating back over 5000 years have been recorded within this area. Kilmartin Museum collects and cares for all of the archaeological objects that are found, by chance or excavation in Mid Argyll. Kilmartin Museum is undergoing an exciting redevelopment project during 2021 and 2022, so the museum gallery and visitor facilities are currently closed to visitors until 2023. Coffees, cakes and light lunches are available from a takeaway café with outdoor seating on the museum site (next door to Kilmartin Church) operated by Lucy’s of Ardfern from May 2021. Learn how people have shaped the environment you see today with hundreds of prehistoric sites, standing stones and burial cairns in our walking guide ‘In The Footsteps Of Kings’, available to purchase from the café, before heading out into the landscape yourself. Please follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/) and help keep Kilmartin Glen beautiful for all who live, work and visit here. Weekly volunteer-led guided walks through Kilmartin Glen will restart as soon as restrictions allow. For further information and latest updates, please check our website www.kilmartin.org.
Temporarily closed for redevelopment. Reopening Spring 2023.
Please see our website for current admission charges.
- Historic Scotland
Kilmartin is two hours from Glasgow, eight miles north of Lochgilphead and 30 miles south of Oban on the A816.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Guided tours
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.