Hidden in the roof of a church, a 300-year old herb garret houses Britain's only surviving 19th century operating theatre. This museum, one of London's most intriguing historical interiors, contains the Operating Theatre, in use between 1821 and 1862 in the days before anaesthetic and antiseptic surgery. The Herb Garret, a "delightful experience of oak beams" was used by the apothecary of St Thomas' Hospital to store the herbs used within patients medicines. The museum offers a full education service combined with cutting edge public events, including Victorian Surgery, Horror Hospital, and regular art exhibitions and special guest lecturers.
Open daily, Mon 14.00-17.00, Tue-Friday and Bank Holiday Mon 10.30-17.00, Sat-Sun 12.00-16.00. Weekend talks on Victorian Surgery available at 11.00 and at 16.00, but previous booking is necessary. See our website for more details. Admission is up a steep, narrow 52 step spiral staircase, in the bell tower of St Thomas' Church. Closed the 25th-26 Dec, 1 Jan.
Adults: £6.50 Concessions: £5 Child: £3.50 Family (2 adults + 2 children, £1 per additional child): £15
- Museums Association
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Children's play area
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
Please note that unfortunately there is no disabled access to the museum.
- Academic publications and resources available
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Braille information and/or interpretation
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Guided tours
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Public access available to collections information
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.