Bucks County Museum is in the attractive old town area of Aylesbury in beautifully restored buildings which range from a 15th century timber framed guildhall through elegant Georgian brick to the modern art gallery, all clustered around a peaceful walled garden. The permanent displays explore the county’s rich heritage of art, history, archaeology, wildlife and geology and include exhibits on the Romans, Victorian Aylesbury, brickmaking, lacemaking and woodlands. Housed in a specially built garage in the Museum garden, is a Cubitt car, one of only six remaining cars built in Aylesbury in the 1920s. The Museum also has an exciting programme of changing exhibitions and events that are run throughout the year for both adults and families. For hands-on discovery and amazing science, the Roald Dahl Children’s Gallery is perfect for young visitors and is full of exciting exhibits inspired by Roald Dahl's wonderful stories and museum objects. Children can investigate minibeasts inside the Giant Peach, explore sound with the BFG or crawl along Fantastic Mr Fox's tunnel. There is also a garden café and a gift shop.
Please check museum website for current opening hours.
There is no set admission charge to the County Museum but donations are welcome to support Bucks County Museum Trust, registered charity 1153345. Some special exhibitions may have an admission charge. Please check museum website for admission charges to the Roald Dahl Children’s Gallery.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Parking for disabled available
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
- Academic publications and resources available
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Public access available to collections information
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.