Step on board the most extraordinary time-machine. Brunel’s ss Great Britain, the world’s first great ocean liner is Bristol’s no.1 attraction on Trip Advisor (2013). The brainchild of our most famous Bristolian, Isambard Kingdom Brunel; this iconic steam ship is the heart of a multi-award winning visitor attraction. Rescued from rust and wreckage in 1970, and since lovingly restored to her Victorian hey-day, a visit to the ss Great Britain allows you to step back in time and explore true stories from the opulent First-Class to the cramped and quarrelsome Steerage. Each kitchen and cabin, dining room and doctor’s surgery emanates authentic sounds and smells which bring the ship and its history to life. So much more than a dusty old museum, this is a living and breathing, atmospheric experience. Step ‘underwater’ for a unique and magnificent view of the ship below the beautiful glass sea; investigate the Riggers’ Yard and the Great Western Dockyard, test your skills with interactive displays and choose from a selection of fascinating audio companions. With storytelling and games for children to in-depth historical research in Brunel’s Institute, there is something for everybody at Brunel’s ss Great Britain.
10am - 5.30pm (last entry 4.30pm) BST 10am - 4:30pm (last entry 3:30pm) GMT Open daily except Dec 24 and Dec 25.
Adults £12.50, Concessions £9.95, Children £6.25, Family (2 Adults and up to 3 children) £33.50. Children four and under free entry. Tickets allow free and unlimited return visits for 12 months.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Parking for coaches
- Parking for disabled available
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
- Audio guides specifically for blind and partially sighted people
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Foreign language audio guide available
- General audio-guide available
- Guided tours
- Licensed for weddings
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.