“I have looked further into space than any human being did before me” "I will make such telescopes and see such things." William Herschel The Herschel Museum of Astronomy celebrates the achievements of William and Caroline Herschel who were brilliant astronomers and talented musicians. It was from the garden of this house, using a telescope of his own design that William discovered the planet Uranus in 1781. He was rewarded for his work by King George III and received the Copley Medal. Caroline also made a huge contribution to the field of astronomy ably assisting William and discovering numerous comets. 19 New King Street provides a unique glimpse of everyday life for those of 'the middling sort' in the late eighteenth century. The town house has been meticulously restored and furnished showing the design ideas popular at the time and illuminating every aspect of domestic life.
Weekdays 1pm – 5pm (last entry 4.15 pm) Weekends and Bank Holidays 11am – 5pm (last entry 4.15 pm)
Adults – £6.50 Students (with student card) and pupils over 16 in full time education (with ID) – £5.50 Concessions – £5.50 Children – £3.20 Family ticket (2 adults & 2 children) – £15.50 Groups (minimum of 10) – £5.50 per person.
- Museums Association
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Gardens open to public
- Parking for disabled available
- Study facilities
Award winning introductory film, partial wheelchair access, virtual tour.
- Activities for pre-school children
- Braille information and/or interpretation
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.