Big Pit is a real colliery. It was the place of work for hundreds of men, women and children for over 200 years - a daily struggle to extract that precious mineral that stoked the furnaces and lit the household fires of the world. Kitted out in helmet, cap-lamp and battery pack, you descend 90 metres to another world; a world of shafts, coal faces and levels, of underground roadways, air doors and stables. Your pit lamp lights an inky darkness - darker than you can imagine. But you are never alone. Guided by an ex-miner, with easy good humour and first-hand knowledge, you get a real sense of life at the coal face. Returning to the surface, the colliery buildings, the winding engine-house, the blacksmiths workshop and pithead baths complete the picture of a working pit that at its height employed 1,300 men.
February-November Daily 10.00-15.30 Please telephone for details of winter opening Closed: Please telephone for details
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Research facilities for academics
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
Tours take approximately 1 hour. You will need warm clothing and sensible footwear. Wheelchairs can go underground (please book).
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General audio-guide available
- Guided tours
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.