Blaenant Colliery Site
Neath & Port Talbot
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01639 750556
Located near the village of Crynant in the Dulais Valley five miles north of Neath, Cefn Coed Colliery Museum tells the story of coal mining at Cefn Coed pit, once the deepest anthracite coal mine in the world. Cefn Coed was one of the most dangerous coalmines in Wales, gaining the nickname ‘The Slaughterhouse’. The story of the thousands of men who worked at Cefn Coed and at other pits in the anthracite coalmines of South West Wales is told through words, pictures and artefacts throughout the museum. The museum is home to a preserved 1927 Worsley Mesnes Horizontal Duplex Cylinder Steam Winding engine, arguably the jewel in the museum’s crown. Once powered by steam when the site was a working colliery this magnificent winder is now turned over by electricity, however its majesty never fails to impress enthusiasts the world over. Cefn Coed museum is also host to the Neath Historical Model Railway Club. The club’s dedication and commitment is evident from the constantly evolving layout celebrating the age of steam in the Dulais Valley.
Daily April - October 10.30-17.00 Last admission to the museum 16.30.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
Accessibility: Most of the site is accessible to disabled visitors. Disabled toilets on site and Guide Dogs welcome.
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Secondary school education service available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.