Encounter the past brought to life in a beautiful building with an 800 year history. Set in the heart of historic Worcester, The Commandery is most famous for being the Royalist Headquarters during the deciding battle of the English Civil War – the Battle of Worcester 1651. Worcester's Civil War Story evokes the momentous build-up to the Battle of Worcester. Discover a new interactive exhibition at The Commandery, former Royalist battle headquarters in 1651, and experience a pivotal moment in English history. Step into the dramatic debate between Royalist and Parliamentarian beliefs, encounter powerful pieces of the past, imagine daily life as a militia soldier 300 miles from home, and test your strategic skills in the battle room. With an exciting programme of events, fun family activities every school holiday, as well as its own gardens and the nearby Civil War themed play area on Fort Royal Hill, The Commandery is the perfect family day out.
Tuesday - Saturday 10am - 5pm Sunday 1.30pm - 5pm
Adults £5.95 (£4.95*) Children Free Season Ticket (annual) £10.95 (£9.95*) A Worcester Residents' Annual Pass is just £5** *Concession & Students (17+) prices **Please bring your Council Tax bill as proof of residency to qualify for a £5 ticket
- Museums Association
By Bus - First Midland Red buses run through Sidbury from Bath Road, London Road, City Walls Road and the City Centre. By Train - Worcester Foregate Street and Worcester Shrub Hill station are both 1km from the Commandery. There are two Pay and Display car parks opposite the building on King Street and Commandery Road.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Gardens open to public
- Meeting room available
- Picnic area
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
The Commandery offers a level access entrance to museum visitors, lifts and an accessible toilet and cafe. If you require level access entrance to the museum please call 01905 361821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org we would be happy to assist you. Guide dogs and assistance dogs are also welcome. For more detailed information please download our Access Statement from the 'Your Visit' page on our website.
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Guided tours
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.