One of the last great homes to be built in the flamboyant Jacobean style, the mansion which was built between 1618 and 1635 for Sir Thomas Holte. In 1643 the house was badly damaged in an attack by Parliamentary troops. Scars left by cannon-shot can still be seen on its magnificent Great Stairs. The house remained in the Holte family until 1817. It was then leased to James Watt Junior, the son of the great industrial pioneer, who lived there until his death. It was purchased by Birmingham Corporation in 1864. The new 'Astonish' gallery, created as part of Aston Hall's redevelopment, tells the story of Aston, from the time Aston Hall was built, to the present day. Astonish is a hands-on gallery, with plenty for everyone to do, from listening to oral histories and using computer interactives, to building your own town and dressing up as someone from Aston's past. There are also plenty of objects from Aston's past to see, from medals to motorbikes. This museum has Designated Collections of national importance.
Easter - end of October Tues - Sun 12.00 - 4.00pm Bank Holiday Mondays 12.00 - 4.00pm Closed: November - prior to Easter Mondays except Bank Holidays Aston Villa home match days Please check before visiting
£4 Adults £3 Concessions Children under 16 free
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Gardens open to public
- Meeting room available
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Induction loops in exhibition spaces
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.