The Yorkshire Museum sits in the heart of York Museum Gardens, in the centre of York. The museum was opened in 1830 by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society and was one of the first purpose-built museums in the country. Housing some of the finest collections of archaeological and geological finds in Europe, the Yorkshire Museum is the ideal first port of call for any trip to York. From prehistory to the city's medieval splendour, see the whole story in our fantastic galleries. Walk on a genuine Roman mosaic floor, kneel at St William's medieval shrine, see the monsters of the deep that swam when Yorkshire was beneath the sea - and all in the heart of the city. Finally - immerse yourself in the story of England's other capital, all brought to life with the latest digital technology in a spectacular film show in our auditorium.
We are open daily from 10am – 5pm, except for 25 and 26 December, and 1 January. We close early on 24 and 31 December. The gardens are open daily from 7.30am, with the exception of Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. From late October until late March, they close at 6pm, and during the summer months they open later into the evening. The observatory is open Thursdays and Saturdays, 11.30am – 2.30pm.
Adult: £7.50 *Access Ticket: £4 **Child (16 and under): FREE with a paying adult Come Back For Free! Tickets purchased before 22 May 2015 are valid for 12 months at no extra charge. Tickets are non-transferable so we need to take your name and address, and you will be asked for ID on your return. If you don't want to give your details, day tickets are available at the same price. Please check our website for further information and updates. Group rates are available for groups of 10+. For further details please contact Group Bookings on 01904 687633. *Access Tickets: up to 50% discount for visitors aged 17-24 or in receipt of Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit, or Income Support. Evidence may be required. For further details please visit www.yorkshiremuseum.org.uk **Maximum 4 children per adult. Additional children will be charged at £4 per child.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Library with public access
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Research facilities for academics
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Academic publications and resources available
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.