Whitby Museum was started in 1823 to preserve the fossils and other interesting artefacts existing in the area. It is owned by Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society and run entirely by volunteers from among the society's members.
All year: Monday to Saturday 09:00-17:00 Sunday 9.30am to 4.30pm Last admission 30 mins before closing Closed Christmas and New Year - see website for details Library closed throughout January
Adults £5.00 Children FREE Seniors £4.00 Students £3.50 Groups of 10 or more £3.50 each Members of Whitby 'Lit. & Phil.' free Permanent residents of Whitby Town free
- National Art Pass
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Library with public access
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Parking for disabled available
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
The Society's library and archives are accessible to the public, but advanced notice of visit would be appreciated. Note that the Library is usually open mornings Tuesday to Friday
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- General guide to collections available
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.