Scott Polar Research Institute
Exploration into science: Discover the story of planet Earth's coldest, driest, windiest, highest and deadliest places … If you have ever wondered what it is like to travel to the Polar Regions or why they are so important to the future of our world, take a trip to The Polar Museum. From penguins to paintings, sleeping bags to sextants, Inuit art to explorers' diaries – come and find out about exploration, science and survival at the extreme ends of the earth. Discover the North and South Poles just 10 minutes' walk from the city centre. We look forward to welcoming visitors of all ages, including school and other groups.
Museum opening times: 1000-1600 (Tues to Sat), open on Bank Holidays, closed over the Christmas and New Year period. The Polar Museum welcomes school and other groups of all ages - please book in advance. Please note that the museum is small and we therefore ask that you limit groups to 24.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Mail order service available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Research facilities for academics
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
Our library and archives are open to the public by appointment. We have been shortlisted for a European Museum of the Year Award 2012.
- Academic publications and resources available
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Events/teaching/resources for people with disabilities
- Induction loops in exhibition spaces
- Induction loops in lecture theatres
- Information point provided
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Public access available to collections information
- Secondary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
- Touch exhibits
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.