- General Enquiries: email@example.com
- Library Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Louisa Yates, Director of Collections and Research.: email@example.com
- Peter Francis, Warden.: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Natalie Tomlinson, Marketing Officer.: email@example.com
- Annette Lewis, Development Manager.: firstname.lastname@example.org
- General Enquiries: 01244 532350
- Web Site: http://www.gladstoneslibrary.org
Gladstone's Library is a beautiful Grade I listed residential library nestled in the hills of North Wales. It comprises a residential library and meeting place which is dedicated to dialogue, debate and learning for open-minded individuals and groups, who are looking to explore pressing questions and to pursue study and research in an age of distraction and easy solutions. This institution pays tribute to William Gladstone. It is Britain's finest residential library, and its only Prime Ministerial library. It was founded by the great Victorian statesman himself and, following his death in 1898, became the national memorial to his life and work. As well as a unique collection of more than 250,000 printed items, Gladstone's Library also offers comfortable en-suite accommodation, conference rooms and a bistro, Food for Thought. Whether you stay for a month or just pop in for a cup of tea, we hope that you will enjoy your visit.
Our Reading Rooms are open 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday - Saturday. Food For Thought is open Monday - Sunday 10.00am - 4.00pm. Lunch is served 12 noon - 2.00pm daily. Afternoon Tea available weekdays 3.00pm - 4.00pm (booking essential).
There is no admittance fee. It is free to become a Reader, which is required to use the Reading Rooms. There are free daily Glimpses of the library at 12 noon, 2.00pm & 4.00pm.
Hawarden Railway Station is on the Wrexham – Bidston line which has connections to Liverpool. Hawarden Station is on Station Road and is 5 – 7 minutes' walk away from the Library. If you are travelling a long distance, you may find it easier to travel to Chester and then get a bus (11, X44, or 4) or a taxi (we are approximately 8 miles from the railway station).
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Conference facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Meeting room available
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
- Gardens open to public
- Members/Friends facilities offered
- Picnic area
- Public car park
- Wi-fi available
- Research facilities for academics
- Study facilities
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.