Discover Mansfield Museum The five galleries of Mansfield Museum contain a fascinating mix of contemporary and modern displays, from the exquisite Buxton watercolours and Pinxton porcelain to the hands-on XplorActive environment gallery. Images of Mansfield introduces the visitor to the social history of the area and a rolling programme of national and local temporary exhibitions ensures there is always something new to see. Made in Mansfield The museum arcade is home to an exciting exhibition about the people and companies that made Mansfield a centre of industry. The gallery looks at eight of the more well-known industries that built Mansfield’s reputation for manufacturing and features artefacts, photos, film and audio relating to the major past and present employers of the town: Metal Box, Shoe Co, Mansfield Brewery, Barrs Soft Drinks, hosiery, precision engineering, mining, foundries and quarrying. XplorActive The most interactive of our permanent galleries focuses on helping children (and their parents) understand the crucial part they play in sustaining their environment. Hands-on activities encourage them to trace, weigh, find, draw, peep and twist their way through a journey from the kitchen to the edge of the wood, via the street, the park and the river. Escapes One of the Museum’s most popular features is its constantly changing catalogue of short-term displays. Two galleries host displays of the work of local artists alongside stimulating and sometimes provocative travelling exhibitions featuring nationally known artists. Learning Journeys The Museum encourages all aspects of life-long learning via formal schools education visits, more playful Fun Art workshops and Growing Bolder’s menu of art and craft sessions for older people.
Mon-Sat 1000-1700 Closed: Sundays and Bank Holidays
It's free to get in!
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Mail order service available
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Activities for pre-school children
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Induction loops in exhibition spaces
- Large print information and/or interpretation
- Loan service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Primary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.