A UNESCO World Heritage Site with breathtaking Romanesque architecture, exquisite stained glass, the Shrine of St Cuthbert and the resting place of St Bede. Things to do include climbing the Cathedral Tower, guided tours and special exhibitions. The Cathedral is a busy community offering daily worship, serving the city and diocese of Durham and the North East region. It attracts visitors from all over the world. The Cathedral is open every day 7.30am to 6pm. Entry to the Cathedral Church is free with admission charges applicable to some exhibitions and the Cathedral Tower.
Everyday from 07.30 until 18.00 Closed: During services and special events, access may be restricted however visitors are welcome to join our congregations during regular services, please check the website before your visit.
Admission charges apply to some exhibitions and the Cathedral tower.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Library with public access
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Research facilities for academics
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
The Undercroft Restaurant is open daily between 10.00 and 16.00 for light snacks, meals and refreshemnets.
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Guided tours
- Information point provided
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Secondary school education service available
- Specialist publications on collections available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.