Lord and Lady Armstrong used their wealth, art and science in a most ingenious way, and Cragside house was the first in the world to be lit by hydroelectricity.
Please check the National Trust website before visiting.
Adult £15.20, child £7.60, family £37.90. Groups (15+) £11.50 Gardens and estate: £9.80, child £5, family £23.70. Groups (15+) £7.50.
- National Trust
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Baby changing facilities
- Education facilities available
- Facilities for private functions and events
- Library with public access
- Meeting room available
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to some public areas
- Wheelchairs available for loan
Visitors may find the uneven ground, steep footpaths and distances between various parts of the property difficult. Stout footwear advisable. Accessibility: House: 1 space 20yds from entrance. Drop-off point on forecourt. Visitor centre: 4 spaces 10yds from entrance. Drop-off point. 9 spaces 100yds from entrance in main car park. 5 manual wheelchairs available, booking essential. Ramped entrance. Ground floor largely accessible, No wheelchair access to scullery and plunge bath. Access to other floors via lift. Tel. for details. Level entrance to shop. Level entrance to restaurant. Only one terrace is accessible. Adapted WC at visitor centre, house and Crozier area.
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Direct teaching services for schools
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Teaching/resources available for HE/FE students
- Victorian architecture
- Building design
- Green space
- Sustainable energy source
- electrical engineering (science)
- North East
- Water transport
- Earth sciences
- Science and Nature
- Military History
- arts, craft and design roles
- science and nature roles
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.