The National Horse Racing Museum is situated in Charles II’s sporting palace and stables and spans five acres in the heart of Newmarket. It comprises three complementary attractions; a new National Horseracing Museum, a National Art Gallery of British Sporting Art, and a chance to meet former racehorses and learn what they do after racing, in the flagship home of Retraining of Racehorses. The museum also features a superb on-site restaurant and a bakery. It is accessible to all the public, not just ticket holders, and can be accessed via large gates on Palace Street directly into the King’s Yard or from the atrium that runs from Rous Road car park through to Palace Street. Retraining of Racehorses demonstrations take place daily in the arena at 11.30 am and 14.30 pm Visits can take from 3 hours to a full day, and sometimes even more!
Tuesday - Sunday 10am-5pm
Annual passes Adult: £15 NUS - Students: £8 Local Residence Pass: £10 Children (under 16): FREE
- National Art Pass
For people travelling by car there are a number of car parks in Newmarket as shown on the map. The two closest to the National Horse Racing Museum are Rous Road, CB8 8LX(short stay) and All Saints CB88ET (long stay) car parks. Please follow the parking signs and brown Museum signs when you reach Newmarket. For more details on all the Newmarket Car Parks please click here.
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Library with public access
- Object study facilities available (enquire in advance)
- Reception and lunch facilities for educational groups
- Study facilities
- Toilets for disabled
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- Events and resources for children and families
- Foreign language leaflet or brochure available
- General guide to collections available
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Primary school education service available
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.