Beckford’s Tower was designed by Henry Edmund Goodridge in 1825 and completed in 1827 for William Beckford (1760-1844), one of the nation’s most accomplished and interesting characters. The 120-foot neo-classical Tower, which enjoys uninterrupted views of the countryside, was constructed as a study retreat and to house Beckford’s precious collection of art and rare books. The surrounding Victorian Cemetery, containing William Beckford’s tomb, was in his lifetime part of a beautiful pleasure garden known as ‘Beckford’s Ride’, which ran from his house in Lansdown Crescent up to the Tower at the top of Lansdown Hill. The Tower is now home to a museum collection displaying furniture originally made for the Tower, alongside paintings, prints and objects illustrating William Beckford’s life as a writer, collector and patron of the arts. Spiral Staircase Visitors can follow in Beckford’s footsteps and climb the spiral staircase to the beautifully restored Belvedere and experience the spectacular panoramic view of Bath. The Tower is an extraordinary building that stands today as the only surviving example of William Beckford’s great architectural achievements. Beckford’s Tower & Museum is owned by the Bath Preservation Trust, and administered by the Beckford Tower Trust.
10.30am – 5.00pm Open Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays. Weekdays by arrangement (£50.00 opening fee)
Adults: £4.50, Concessions: OAPs/students/disabled (carers free) £3.80, Children: 0-5 free, 6-16 £2.20 Group bookings: £3.80 per person, Family ticket: £11.20
- Museums Association
All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Facilities and services
- Education facilities available
- Academic publications and resources available
- Adult lectures and courses held
- Brochure or leaflet available with directions to museum
- General guide to collections available
- Object identification and/or written enquiry service
- Pre-booking service for groups
- Printed/audio-visual information available for schools
- Specialist publications on collections available
- Licensed for weddings
- Commercial filming service
- Member of staff available with responsibility for education
- Roleplay/costumed interpreters available
Is this your Venue? log in to update any incorrect or missing information.